With Christmas time comes all the exciting festivities! Keeping to tradition there has to be cake right? This time of year there is one cake that leads the pack, Gingerbread Cake. But what if you could create this deliciousness that ticks all those tasty nostalgic notions but does not leave you feeling sick in the stomach? Well my friends that is exactly what this recipe is for you an Easy Healthy Gingerbread Cake.
What will I learn from this Recipe?
Not only will you understand how to bake a cake without refined sugar, but you will also learn a simple trick to make your cake look more appealing. This is a ‘Marble’ easy healthy gingerbread cake. So it looks divine and a bit next level. I will teach you one simple step to create this marble affect. You can also make my ever popular CocoChoc Sauce. Create it, store it, you will be wanting it in your fridge every day of the year!
How is it Healthy?
For one there is no refined sugar, we are working with natural sweeteners here in honey and combining it with a banana to give you that added edge you love. Because of this your body is able to processes it the way it was designed to. It is important to note that you both honey and banana still contain a bit of sugar so do not over do it in your day.
I opted for a GlutenFree Flour, you could even use almond flour or coconut flour as well. It will come out a lot more moist, but wont rise as much. But it does offer a super nutty effect. So in summation we are keeping opting for less refined sweeteners and a flour that is much easier to digest.
How is It Easy?
This is a wet plus dry mix… essentially all you are doing is mixing two bowls together and putting them in a cake tin. So for an easy healthy Gingerbread Cake it is a simple as mix and bake!
The Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut products in general are fantastic for us. They contain healthy fats that are essential for our cells structure (making sure they are balanced and stable so they flow around the body effectively). They also help to feed the brain and also optimize certain hormonal processes, such as that of the thyroid. Coconut oil contains MCTs (Medium Chain Tryglycerides) which help to optimize the Thyroid synthesizing T4 which determines how quickly we use energy (there you go metabolism). So this easy healthy gingerbread cake contains ingredients that boost your ability to lose weight 😉
This recipe is part of my 10 days of Christmas Feast Meal Prep. I am providing you with tips on your pantry, fridge and prep advice leading into the big day. So be sure to sign up to the newsletter to receive the daily updates! You will also get a FREE ebook, its my Christmas Present to you 😉 CLICK HERE to receive you present
Happy Gingerbread making!
Recipe: Marble Gingerbread cake with CocoChoc Sauce
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Honey
1 Banana, diced
1 Cup Gluten Free Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Yoghurt
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Ginger Powder
1 tsp Cloves, ground
1 tsp Cardamon
1 1/2 Tbsp Cacao
Pinch of salt
CocoChoc Sauce Click for Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F. or 180 Degrees C
- Using a stand mixer, beat your coconut oil, and honey together before gradually adding your banana. Crack in your egg and allow it to come together
- In a separate bowl sift in your flour, baking power, cinnamon, ginger and cardamon. Gift it a stir before gradually adding it to the oil and honey mix (mixer can still be running).
- Once all combined fold in the yoghurt, before separating half the mix into another bow. Stir in the cacao powder to this mix. Grease a spring form pan and add each batter to one side of the pan.
- Using a chopstick or the sharp part of the knife draw a pattern in the batter combining the cacao and base mix to make a marble affect.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Serve with the Coco Choc sauce 🙂