There is something special about this recipe… It is inspired by the first recipe I ever cooked. My chef life all started with a lemon. We used to have a lemon tree in the backyard of my family home. Dad did not bake a lot, but one thing he did every so often was a lemon meringue pie. I used to watch him create the three elements. Its magical to think where my life is right now, doing what I love as I remember, barely enough to reach the counter, watching pop add the extra lemon zest to the filling. So inspired by this bit of nostalgia I wanted to create a healthy dessert pie recipe, that still ticked all those memories, but also involved the message of healthiness I am fortunate to engage all of you with. Are your ready?
Well before we get into this recipe I wanted to give you many more for free.! Click here, put in your email and ill send you an Ebook that will come straight to your inbox 🙂
How is it Healthy?
Here is the macronutrient breakdown of this healthy dessert pie recipe per serving
This healthy dessert pie recipe is full of the goodness of Coconut fats. Meaning it is full of medium chain triglycerides which have positive effects on our hormones maintaining our metabolism. They also work directly with the brain (which is made up of fat) and ensure our cell’s membrane are strong and flexible. Meaning they hold out pathogens and move around the body with ease… winning!
This pie uses natural ingredients, making it a much easier digestible meal. It works with your gut microbiome (little organisms find inside you) to ensure food is passed through and absorbed efficiently. Essentially this healthy pie recipe involves little to no processes meaning insides stay happy 🙂
What is something I will learn from this Recipe?
How easy a pie crust can be! Think about it, this one is simply blitz and press. No rolling, no dough creations. It does not get much easier than that. You will also learn how easy the filling to a healthy dessert pie recipe can be. I know people can be intimidated from the idea of reducing liquids etc. but once you give this one a go, take a step back and realize how simple it is. Its honestly a light bulb moment that all you needed was to give it a go and see
So my friends this one is pretty special to me, may it serve you well. It has a few elements in it so is a little more technical than usual, but honestly a great way to jump outside your comfort zone. It is not that hard, just takes you giving it a go. I can not tell you how many dishes i have created from this inspiration… I mean it is now my profession so we can only imagine right. Let me take this time to say I appreciate all of your support and that is not saying necessarily that your loving the journey, it could simply be asking the questions around cooking, health and fitness. It means you hold my response with credibility and trust in the work and research we put in.
Just over a week until I set off for the Olympics, but next week I am continuing to film content for Under Armour, and get the NYC Department of building to agree to my building terms of the restaurant… fun times ahead. Always enjoy the journey my friends, otherwise you will never appreciate the goal
Much love xo
Recipe: Healthy Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: N/A (Freezing/setting time) 30 minutes
Ingredients: Serves 8-12
1 1/2 Cup Oats
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 Tbsp Honey
1/2 Cup Mixed Nuts
1 Cup Coconut Cream
1/3 Cup Honey
1 tsp Turmeric
Juice and zest of 3 lemons
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
3 Egg Yolks
`1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
3 Egg Whites
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a blender and blitz until it will stick together if you rolled it into ball. Transfer to a pie tin & press in leaving no gaps. Create a wall for extra detail 🙂
- Transfer to the freezer to set
- For the filling in a small saucepan on low heat whisk together your coconut cream & honey and turmeric, before pouring in your lemon juice and adding your zest, stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and pour in your coconut oil. In a separate bowl whisk together your egg yolks and add 1/3 the cooled coconut mix in.
- Once combined transfer egg mix back to saucepan and continue to stir on a medium heat until sauce coats the back of a spoon. Allow to cool before pouring into pie crust, set in the fridge for 20 minutes
- To make the meringue whisk together sugar & egg whites until glistening, shiny and mix remains tall (stiff peaks). Spread on top of the pie and put under a broiler for 3-4 minutes or until golden