Team! Thanksgiving can be stressful for everyone, especially when it comes to taking care of the turkey. I got you covered! Thanks to the subtle sage and walnut flavors, this turkey recipe is easy and flavorful. Plus, I am giving you my 3 tips to make the perfect turkey!
The 3 Biggest Mistakes when Making a Turkey
- Overstuffing the turkey! This prevents heat from getting through to the center of the bird, meaning you often undercook the inside. Lightly stuff your turkey with your favorite stuffing, which will add flavor to the bird.
- Not tying the legs together. Tying the legs will help keep heat & juices to the center and prevent legs from overcooking.
- Setting the oven temp too high! Cook it slow: 250F (120C) for a couple of hours and finish at 350F (180C) for the remaining hour before resting.
Is turkey healthy?
Poultry is an excellent source of lean protein, essential for muscle maintenance and growth. Turkey is relatively low in calory and saturated fats while being high in protein. A serving of turkey without the skin (85g) has 135 calories, 24g of protein, 3g of fat. Turkey is also rich in vitamin B, especially B3, B6, and B12. This family of vitamins helps break down food into energy, ensure DNA production, and support immune function and brain and nerves health. Turkey is also loaded with selenium (an 85g serving covers 46% of the recommended daily dose), a mineral that regulates the metabolism and might prevent some cancers such as bladder, breast, lung, and stomach cancers.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1 10 to 12 lbs (4.5 to 5.5 kg) turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 250F (120C).
- In a bowl, infuse the olive oil with the juice of a lemon, 3 minced garlic cloves, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the turkey with the chopped onion, the remaining garlic cloves, chopped walnuts and sage. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Coat the turkey with the infused oil.
- Place the turkey on a roasting rack. Cook for 1 hour at 250F (120C).
- Up the temperature to 350F (180C) for the rest of the cooking time, about 2 hours for a 12lbs (5.5kg) turkey.
- Baste the turkey with the drippings every 30 minutes for the remaining cooking time.