Flavorful and Easy Cauliflower Rice
Friends, happy autumn! It is officially fall here in NYC. I’m gearing up for a season of warm bowls with all sorts of grains, comforting soups, and easy, healthy dishes to fill you up, like this easy cauliflower rice!
This is a side dish we make every day at Charley St, my restaurant in NYC. Many of you have actually been by to try this out for yourselves. At the restaurant, we make a waste-free cauliflower rice with the leftover cauliflower stems that would otherwise be thrown away. These stalks are not only perfectly good to eat, but they’re packed with nutrients. So if you have leftover stems and stalks in your kitchen, don’t throw them away! This easy cauliflower rice recipe is the ideal way to make use of them.
What makes this cauliflower rice healthy?
Because we’re using so many nourishing, colorful veggies, you can be sure you’re getting a meal loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals, satiating fiber, and a bit of carbohydrate to keep you full and satisfied. You’re also getting an immunity boost by loading up with so many antioxidants.
All veggies as we know have their own unique nutrient profiles: red veggies like beets carry different nutrients, than, say, white ones like cauliflower! So it’s beneficial to have a variety in your diet. This ensures you’re getting everything you need throughout the day. For that reason, the color code for this recipe is MULTI!
This recipe is perfect for… a weeknight vegan dinner option, or to serve a crowd.
The DC color code for this recipe is WHITE! White foods have an abundance of vitamins and minerals. I know we all think of them as things like white bread or white pasta which may not be as packed with nutrients, but produce is a different story entirely. And of course, you know I’m all about my sourdough bread.
What makes this cauliflower rice easy?
One of my favorite things about this easy cauliflower rice recipe is that it contains so few ingredients, and takes barely any prep! You can work your knife skills if you want to get that cauliflower super finely chopped by hand, but if not, a food processor is your best friend, and takes just a couple seconds to set up and get your cauliflower ready to go!
Believe it or not this recipe is also packed with flavor. No boring cauliflower rice here! You can use anything you like to flavor and season this cauliflower, but make sure to add a big pinch of salt. My favorite flavors to pair with cauliflower are Middle Eastern spices like cardamom, chili, cinnamon, cumin, and coriander. These give the cauliflower a rich nuttiness and heat.
Recipe: 5-Minute Cauliflower Rice
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
1 medium sized-head of cauliflower
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C.
- Chop cauliflower into small florets, then add these to a large food processor. Blitz by pulsing about 5 times. You want the cauliflower to resemble pieces of rice. You can also do this by hand with a sharp knife, and just chop the cauliflower super finely.
- Lay cauliflower in a sheet pan and drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Toss in your spices and give everything a good mix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden, tossing halfway through. Watch the oven carefully, as it can burn!
- Remove from oven. Option to then toast off in a pan over medium heat with another 1 Tbsp olive oil for extra crispy “fried rice” goodness.
- Plate up and serve! I love topping this rice with some cilantro and plain yogurt, or serving as the “grain” component of my favorite grain bowl. Let me know in the comments what types of dishes you’d use this one in!