In celebration of Cinqo De Mayo I couldnt not put together a little Mexican family feed special… This sauce is super simple, paired with some authentic corn tortillas and a kick arse quac put these legends out on the table or even on the floor get your family and friends around and dig in…. the art of folding never required a licence 😉
- 1 Red Capsicum/Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 5 Rashes of bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 Can Red Kidney Beans
- 2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Coriander, ground
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Cup Beef Stock
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 bunch of Coriander/Cilantro, leaves preserved stalk finely chopped
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- Corn Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C or 395 F, line a baking tray with baking paper and place the capsicum/pepper on top and into the oven for 20 minutes or until skin darkens
- Remove from the oven, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Then peel back the skin, remove the white ribs and take away the seeds. Slice and set aside.
- Add half the oil to a frypan on medium high heat and cook the bacon off until golden and crispy, 4-6 minutes, transfer bacon to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and stir in the garlic for 2 minutes or until golden before adding the onion and caramalising for 5-8 minutes. Spoon the bacon back, drain the kidney beans and add to the pan along with the spices. Stir for 1 minute then pour in the stock. Cover and allow to simmer on low heat for 12-15 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice and stir in coriander/cilantro stalks. Allow to reduce for a further 5 minutes with the lid off. Take to the table serve in warm tortillas with a spoonfull of quac, the sliced capsicum/peppers, bacon bean mix and the coriander/cilantro leaves…Its time for a fiesta!!!!