Team! I hope you feel adventurous because I am PUMPED for this recipe: Baked Bagel French Toasts! This dish combines 2 brunch staples: bagels and French toasts. It is the PERFECT comfort food with crispy edges a gooey center. Besides, it is great to feed a crowd and is easy to make.
But…what are bagels?
Bagels have been traced back to the 17th century in Poland. Brought in the US around the 19th century by European Jewish immigrants, bagels have become a symbol of American cuisine, especially in New York City. Traditional bagels are made out of 5 ingredients: flour, salt, yeast, malt, and water. It is a round bread with a hole in the middle that is boiled and baked. For this recipe, I recommend that you go to your favorite bagel store and choose your preferred bagels- for this recipe, we got plain ones- or you can even make them at home!
Bread vs. Bagel
What is better? Bread or Bagel? While traditional french toasts are made with bread or brioche, we are switching things up by using bagels. So let’s compare! While bagels make a more significant part of the recommended daily calories intake than bread (290 calories vs. 140 calories for 2 slices of whole wheat bread), both are high in carbs. Looking for a healthier option? Prefer whole-wheat bagel or bread to increase your fiber intake.
Are bagels healthy?
A regular medium plain bagel contains around 290 calories, 56g of carbs, 11g protein, and 2g fat. What increases the nutritional information is most often the toppings added to bagels. Bagels have their place in a healthy balanced diet. Pair bagels with eggs, and fresh fruits, like in this recipe, and you will have a complete comfort meal!
Bagel French Toasts
- 8 bagels
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp mint
Bagel French Toasts
- Preheat oven to 380F (190C).
- Cut your bagels in the middle and then in half, leaving you with 4 pieces.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, milk, maple syrup, salt, and spices.
- Dip the bagel into the mixture, until fully coated and soft.
- Arrange the bagels in the baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the mixture on top, submerging 3/4 of the bagels.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the dish cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- In a bowl, whip the coconut cream with maple syrup.
- Once the bagel french toasts have cooled, top with coconut whipped cream, berries, lemon zest and mint.