Chocolate cakes are always a must, whether it is for a special occasion or an afternoon snack. But what about twisting the recipe by adding chestnuts? Chesnuts add natural sweetness and richness to this cake. This dessert is free of refined sugar. The plus? Cocoa powder and chestnuts contain nutrients believed to help with blood sugar management.
What about chestnuts?
Chesnuts are naturally rich in fibers that support your digestive system and help you maintain a healthy gut. They are packed in antioxidants such as tannins, alkaloids, lutein, ellagic acid, and gallic acid. Those antioxidants help the body fight harmful free radicals. Moreover, ellagic and gallic acids might help with blood sugar management.
What do chestnuts taste like?
Chesnuts, when boiled or roasted, are buttery and sweet. They taste nutty and can have the texture of a boiled potato.
Is cacao powder good for you?
Packed with flavors, cocoa powder is also the ultimate superfood! It is rich in magnesium, iron, zinc, and antioxidants. ½ cup of cocoa powder contains 204.7mg of magnesium, covering 59% of the recommended daily dose. Magnesium is a vital mineral. Indeed, it is crucial to convert food into energy, ensuring protein synthesis. It is also loaded with anti-inflammatory antioxidants such as polyphenols and flavanols. Besides, flavanols might protect against heart disease, and polyphenols may improve blood sugar levels.
Let’s bake this EPIC chocolate chestnut cake!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chestnut purée (1.5 cup chestnuts blended)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 2 chesnuts
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients together.
- In a pan, melt the chocolate. Add the 3 egg yolks. Mix. Add the chestnut purée.
- Beat the egg whites until firm.
- Fold the egg whites into the chestnut mixture. Mix the dry mixture in.
- Transfer the batter to an oiled cake tin.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, add the milk and chocolate chips. Softly mix until melted and well combined.
- Pour the chocolate ganache on top of the cake.
- Grate chestnuts on top of the chocolate ganache.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts.