Team! This is finally soup season! What’s more comforting than a great bowl of soup? It is earthy, warm, and flavorful. For this recipe, we are cooking simple broccoli and potato soup. It is super creamy without using any cream! The garlic croutons add the best crunch to the soup too!
Why is broccoli good for you?
Broccoli is a nutrient dense cruciferous vegetable. It is loaded in vitamins, minerals and fibers. A serving of broccoli (1 cup or 91g) contains 2.4g fibers, vitamins A, C, K, potassium, phosphorus and selenium. This same serving provides you with 135% of your daily Vitamin C needs. An orange (140g) “only” contains 96% of the recommended daily needs of vitamin C! Vitamin C is particularly necessary to promotes a healthy immune system. During the winter month this soup is a must too boost your immune system! It also has a high amount of vityamin K which helps the blood to clot and supports healthy bones. Broccoli is also great for you because it contains fibers which promote digestion.
Is broccoli really a superfood?
Broccoli can be considered a superfood since it is low in calories and loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. Borccoli also contains sulforaphane, a phytochemical who acts as an antioxidant and fight free radicals and can support brain function by reducing occidative stress and protect against age related disease.
Now that you know why broccoli is good for you, let’s talk about how to make a great soup.
How to build flavor when making soup?
The last you want when making a soup is the bland flavor of just one vegetable. You want to build flavor. That is why I like to sauté onion and garlic first. Then for this soup we brown our broccoli and potatoes to bring out their flavor before seasoning them and pouring the broth on top of them. We also use vegetable broth rather than water to add some depth to the soup. Finally adding a dash of milk or the plant-based equivalent, ensure you to have a silky finish!
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets + stalk
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp coriander
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 sourdough slices
- In a pot, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and 2 minced garlic cloves. Cook until translucent. Add the potatoes and broccoli. Add salt, pepper, and coriander. Let the vegetables get some colors. Add the broth. Bring the soup to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the soup and stir in the milk.
- In a pan on medium-high heat, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil. Toast the bread. Grate a garlic clove on the toast—cut croutons. Serve with the soup.