An Epic Paleo Macro Bowl
My healthy cooks, today I’m bringing you a super special recipe that my awesome friend Rulk has wanted — and many of you have been asking for as well! It’s my paleo macro bowl. This one is loaded with colourful ingredients, protein, and plenty of healthy veggies to make it the absolute most ideal post workout meal you could hope to come by.
So I hope you all enjoy this one and feel free to completely customize it to your own tastes! I think you’re all going to love recreating this one in your own kitchens.
What makes this paleo macro bowl healthy?
This paleo macro bowl combines my favorite forms of post-workout fuel all in one — you’ve got protein from the chicken, complex carbs from the sweet potato, some natural healthy sweetness from the apple, greens for micronutrients and more. But most importantly, this bowl is going to help your muscles recover and adapt after a hard workout, so that you can continue crushing it at life!
The color code for this recipe is MULTI! Check out my full color code to learn more about the nutritional components of each ingredient in this recipe.
Three important things to keep in mind with a paleo macro bowl (or any bowl you enjoy post-workout!):
- protein – make sure you get in some protein after your workout so your muscles recover
- color – the more the better, as this is a great indicator of how many micronutrients you get in
- flavour – if you’re not enjoying the taste of the meal, forget it! Cook up something that suits your taste buds
What makes this paleo macro bowl easy?
This is such a simple one guys. Really all you need to do is cook up your veg or use whatever you have leftover, and then mix it in with your protein, fresh apple, greens, and any dressing you like. I’ll show you how to whip up an easy 3 ingredient dressing for this, but it’s the type of bowl that would pair well with a tahini dressing, a sesame ginger dressing, or your favorite herb dressing too!
For more easy and healthy recipes, check out my $5 Eats Recipe Ebook here!
Recipe: Healthy Paleo Macro Bowl
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Cost per serving: <$5
Skill level: Easy
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup greens of choice (we used kale)
1/4 whole avocado, sliced
1/4 whole apple, sliced, skin on
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted or raw
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
1 tsp olive oil + more to season veggies and chicken
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C.
- Season sweet potato cubes with oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet. On the other side of the sheet place your chicken breast and season both sides with olive oil, salt, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Place tray in the oven.
- After 35 minutes check to see if the chicken is cooked through by slicing halfway in. If it is opaque and white, you are good to remove it. If it is still pale pink, it needs more time. Once chicken and sweet potato are cooked, remove tray from the oven.
- Shred chicken breast with two forks until it is stringy.
- Prepare your bowl. Add greens to the base, followed by your sweet potato, chicken, avocado, walnuts, and apple. Top with your olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Season with a bit of salt and some chili flakes if you like.