What Are Enchiladas?
Enchiladas are tortillas stuffed and rolled and baked in a savory sauce. It is Mexican comfort food. I love enchiladas because they are filling, and you can be creative with them by changing the stuffing or the sauce!
Are Enchiladas Healthy?
Enchiladas are often loaded with meat and cheese, making them not the healthiest option available. However, we use chicken breast in this recipe, which is lean meat. We also use carb-free tortillas. Plus, by adding beans and corn, we increased the protein and fiber content of the dish! Consumed alongside some greens of some sort, you have a balanced meal!
Can I Substitute the Chicken?
You can use turkey instead of chicken or even another chicken cut if you prefer. Vegetarian? Double the quantity of beans used in this recipe and make amazing plant-based enchiladas!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 lb chicken, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- In a saucepan, drizzle olive oil. Add the garlic cloves, bell pepper, the poblano pepper. Sprinkle the spices. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and broth. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, blend the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil. Add the onion. Let it caramelize for 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the spices, salt, and pepper.
- Add the corn and beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a tortilla, spread ½ cup of the chicken mixture. Roll the tortilla. Repeat
- In a greased baking dish, spread 1 cup of the sauce. Add the rolled tortilla. Top with sauce, and cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro.