Sandwiches recently became some of my recipes to work on. So versatile and perfect for eating on the go, sandwiches are the best! You can switch up the fillings indefinitely and pick the bread you like most. For this recipe, we’re making a smoky plant-based sandwich.
I cannot wait for you legends to try it.
How to make the best sandwich?
You need 4 things to make the perfect sandwich:
- A medium. It can be any bread, from baguette to sourdough to pita. You can even use tortillas to make wraps. With or without gluten, it is your choice!
- A flavorful spread. Consider spreading a sauce or soft cheese of your choice on at least one side of your sandwich. It will ensure that your sandwich is not dry and bring a max of flavor.
- The protein of your choice. You can use anything! A chickpea spread, some tempeh for my plant-based legends, fish, or any meat you enjoy.
- Some vegetables. Raw, cooked, marinated, add some vegetables to ensure you have a nutritious and tasty meal.
What is tempeh?
For this recipe, we are using tempeh. Traditionally tempeh is made out of cooked and fermented soybeans. However, you can now find in stores tempeh made of different grains. In this dish, soybean tempeh is an excellent alternative to tofu since it is thicker, firmer, and holds better for this recipe.
Is tempeh good for you?
Tempeh is incredibly nutritious. Each serving (3oz or 84g) contains 15g of protein, making it a great meat replacement. It is almost 3 times more than the amount of protein found in tofu. It is also rich in fibers. Moreover, since it is made out of fermented soybeans, it is a source of pre and probiotics that nurture your gut microbiome and ensure a healthy digestive tract.
How to cook tempeh?
In this recipe, I show you an easy way to cook tempeh: marinate the protein and cook it in a pan. However, you can also steam, stir-fry, or bake tempeh! Add any spices or marinades, and enjoy!
- 1 cup arugula
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 sourdough slices, toasted
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 pack tempeh, cut into ½ inch sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp ginger, grated
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut in half the tomato and pepper. Transfer into a baking dish. Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer the pepper and tomato into a blender. Add the soaked cashews, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, dried basil, and the juice of a lemon. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the liquid smoke, maple syrup, ginger, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a pan on medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil. Once hot, add the tempeh. Add the sauce on top. Cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the bell pepper spread generously on both slices of bread.
- Add arugula, onion, and tempeh.
- Cover with the other half of the bread.