Easy Vegan Pumpkin Oatmeal
My healthy cooks, this one is quite easily one of my go-to oatmeal recipes when I want something warming, a bit richer than standard oatmeal, and still packed with nutrients. It’s my favorite pumpkin oatmeal!
What makes this pumpkin oatmeal healthy?
This pumpkin oatmeal combines my favorite forms of complex carbohydrate – pumpkin! It’s in the squash family and is an awesome addition to any sweet breakfast as it contains so much natural sweetness that your body loves and helps you prepare for a busy day.
The color code for this recipe is ORANGE! Orange foods are loaded with phytonutrients, potassium, vitamin C, and beta carotene. As such they’re great for pretty much our entire bodies, including eyes and bones!
Three important things to keep in mind when making this oatmeal:
- cooking the pumpkin: this is a first step that if you do it from scratch will give you the most benefits taste and flavour wise. But if you are in a pinch go for the canned pumpkin, just make sure that pumpkin is the only ingredient!
- flavour – make sure to add a bit of salt to this one to help balance and bring out the natural sweetness of the pumpkin
- colour – to bring out extra orange color in this bowl, feel free to add a bit of turmeric to the cooking process!
What makes this pumpkin oatmeal recipe easy?
This is such a simple one guys. Really all you need to do is cook up your pumpkin if you are doing so ahead of time, you can easily even do this a few days in advance and have it in your fridge ready to go.
This is a recipe you could also meal prep and set in jars to reheat throughout the week. It is easily adaptable if you wish to double or even triple the recipe for a crowd!
For more easy and healthy recipes, check out my $5 Eats Recipe Ebook here!
Recipe: Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Oatmeal
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
Cost: <$5 per serving
½ cup pumpkin purée (or roast and blend your own pumpkin!)
⅓ cup coconut milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups oats
2 TB honey
1 TB peanut butter
Pinch of salt
1 banana, sliced
Handful of walnuts
- Add 2 cups of water with the oats into a saucepan and and bring to a boil on medium heat. Continue to stir until thick.
- Fold in the pumpkin puree, honey and enough coconut milk to loosen up the mix but still ensure it is still “oatmeal-style thick”
- Serve in two bowls and top with peanut butter, sliced banana, walnuts, a pinch nutmeg and honey.