Eggplants, or aubergines, are versatile vegetables. You can cook them in so many different ways: in dips, in pasta, as mini pizza, as skewers…And this is exactly what we are doing in this recipe: gochujang eggplant skewers!
Are Eggplants Good For You?
Eggplants are low in calories and carbs but rich in fibers. 100g of eggplants has 3g of fibers. Eggplants are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, K, manganese, folate, and potassium, which protect against cell damage, amongst other things. Since this vegetable is rich in fibers and contains polyphenols, eggplant might help regulate blood sugar.
How to Prepare Eggplant?
Eggplants are full of water and can be bitter. To draw out the water and the bitterness, you can sprinkle salt on the cut eggplant 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking it. As I previously mentioned, eggplants are versatile. You can bake, roast, sauté or even fry them. They are great in pasta dishes, curries, ratatouille, or cooked with a great sauce. We bake the eggplant rather than fry it in this recipe to ensure that the dish is healthy and balanced.
Can I Substitute Gochujang with Hot Sauce?
Gochujang, a Korean fermented paste made of red chili pepper flakes, sticky rice, fermented soybeans, and salt, is terrific for adding spice and tang to your dishes. However, if you cannot find it, feel free to replace it with sriracha or any hot sauce you like!
- 1 eggplant
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 green onions
- 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the eggplants into 1-inch cubes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a tray. Dust with flour. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the eggplant for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, combine all the ingredients for the glaze. The glaze is ready when the spoon separates the sauce (about 5 minutes).
- Thread eggplant (3-4 pieces) onto the skewers.
- Place the skewers on a baking tray. Spread the sauce evenly on top. Bake for 15 minutes, turning them halfway through. Add some of the glaze on top if needed.
- Once cooked, top with green onion, sesame seeds, and cilantro.