The Epic Not-So-Fried Chicken
My healthy cooks, today I’m bringing you a super special recipe that you all have been requesting nonstop — and you’ve definitely seen me make it a time or two on my Instagram and on Youtube! It’s my healthy fried chicken! This one is loaded with protein and healthy fats, super easy to make, and requires almost no effort on your part.
I hope you all enjoy this one and feel free to show me how you recreate it in your own kitchens!
What makes this healthy fried chicken healthy?
This healthy fried chicken is a healthy spin on one of my favorites (and probably one of yours too). It’s fried chicken! And while fried chicken typically is packed with unhealthy saturated fats and deep fried, this healthy spin is super nutritious and packed with healthy fats. You’re not missing out on flavor either!
The color code for this recipe is BROWN! Check out my full color code to learn more about the nutritional components of each ingredient in this recipe.
Three important things to keep in mind with this healthy fried chicken:
- protein – obviously protein is the center of this one, thanks to the chicken thighs
- texture – thanks to the almond meal crust, this chicken tastes just as good and textural as your original epic fried version
- healthy fats – almond meal is a great way to add some healthy fats to your diet without any deep frying liquid or simple carbs in that crust
What makes this healthy fried chicken easy?
This is such a simple one guys. Really all you need to do is make your marinade, and that’s it for the prep. Your chicken sits in the marinade, cooks up, and you can use that 45 minutes of baking time to make a side or some veg to go with!
This is a breading technique you could apply to other proteins too, or even a hardy veg like cauliflower. This recipe is much requested and though you do need a bit of time for the chicken to bake, there’s almost no hands-on work for you to do!
For more easy and healthy recipes, check out my $5 Eats Recipe Ebook here! Check out the full video below, too!
Recipe: Almond-Crusted Healthy Fried Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes + marinade time
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Cost per serving: $5-8
Skill level: Medium
2 lbs chicken thighs
1 cup fine almond flour
2 TB grainy mustard
Juice of 3 lemons
1 bunch fresh thyme, chopped
- Create your marinade. Whisk together mustard, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Marinade chicken for half hour or up to overnight, in a shallow dish or bag.
- After half an hour (or the next day), preheat oven to 320F/160C.
- Create your almond flour mixture. Add almond flour, salt, pepper, and chopped thyme to a shallow casserole dish or onto a plate.
- Coat chicken in the almond flour mixture on all sides using your hands.
- Place a cooling rack (oven proof!) over a sheet pan and place chicken thighs onto that. Dust off excess mixture by tapping chicken on sides of marinade dish first.
- Place the tray into the oven for 45 minutes or until crispy and fully cooked through. Enjoy!