The ultimate Sunday morning brunch recipe: healthy coconut French toast
French toast is one of those classic recipes that we all crave on a Sunday morning, and to put a healthy spin on it I am introducing to you my colorful and healthy coconut French toast! I think we all love waking up to the smell of crispy bread cooking in a sizzling skillet, or the smell of fresh berries. Whether you’re doing the cooking or eating or both, we all love a good French Toast situation! The great thing about this coconut crusted french toast recipe is that it’s an extra simplified but ultra-flavourful take on the classic we all know and love. Extra perfect this Mother’s Day for all those deserving mamas in your life!
Another reason I’m a fan of this recipe is we added a next level texture by way of coconut crust around the sourdough. This also adds tons of flavor and that subtle crunch we all love. Plus it is the perfect way to use up some leftover sourdough! You learn how to toast Coconut too!
Why is this French toast recipe healthy?
Normally, French toast is a bit of a sugar bomb, but we have sweetened it up naturally using honey and fresh berries. The berries are also are loaded with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, so don’t skip them! Of course if berries aren’t in season, going with a thawed and warmed frozen option is always a win, ensuring the berries are at their peak. Or use whatever fresh fruit is your favorite, just chop it up nice and small 🙂
But of course the star in this healthy coconut French toast is that coconut, which adds a great source of fiber and minerals like potassium, and MCTs which are the type of fats that our brains love to operate on, and are great for heart health and can help prevent weight gain.
As always, your nutritional breakdown! This is per serve (divide in half to get per slice!):
For more healthy, easy recipes, download my 21-recipe FREE ebook!
Why is this coconut French toast recipe easy?
One of my favorite things about this healthy coconut French toast is that it’s the kind of dish that looks so decadent and time consuming when you serve it up, but really only takes about 5-10 minutes to put together!
While your strawberries are resting in the fridge, you can have the sourdough cooked and the coconut cream whipped and ready to assemble. And this is really one of the simpler brunch recipes out there when it comes to ingredients, we’re using a bunch of pantry staples that you may already have on hand (I always have coconut milk/cream and shredded coconut on hand for breakfast bowls!)
Hope you love this one legends, it is one of my favorites, not to mention all this delicious vibrancy. You and your brunch mates will love!
Easy Coconut Crusted French Toast
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients: Serves 2
4 Slices Sourdough
- For the macerated strawberries, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, cover, and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl for 1 minute before adding the coconut milk, honey, and allspice. On a plate, mix together the toasted coconut, salt, and cinnamon.
- Melt coconut oil in a frypan over medium high heat. Dip both sides of the sourdough in the egg wash. Cook for 2 minutes on each side on the pan or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices.
- Transfer bread to the dry coconut mixture, coating both sides. Whip coconut cream in a blender or food processor, or with a hand whisk.
- To serve, place two slices of toast down, add a dollop of whipped coconut cream, spoon over the macerated strawberries, and add some honey. Finish with fresh strawberries.