How to Make a Loaded Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato
Hello my healthy cooks, this week I’m joined in the kitchen by Brett Caprioni to cook up a healthy vegan sweet potato jacket. Brett is an incredibly inspiring figure in the vegan community and in all things travel, lifestyle, and fitness. Brett and I bonded and bro’ed out over this recipe, and we think you’re going to love it too. We’re cooking up a super easy sweet potato with vegan cashew cheese and a use-anywhere marinara sauce!
What makes this Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato recipe easy?
This recipe is one of those bake-and-go recipes. You throw everything into the oven together at the same temperature, it all comes out around the same time, and then it’s just a matter of puréeing the sauces and adding your toppings!
All in all, yes you’re going to wait about 40 minutes for the sweet potatoes, but all of that gives you some down time to be dreaming up your epic sweet potato toppings and getting your sauces ready. As soon as everything comes out of the oven it’s ready to go!
What makes this a Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato recipe?
With this one, we’re focusing on the complex carbohydrate that is our beautiful sweet potato. This orange ingredient is filled with vitamin A (your entire day’s worth!), and vitamin B6, low in fat and calories, and also has a couple grams of protein to kick-start your afternoon. We’re pairing it with a couple of micronutrient dense sauces: a cashew cheese and an easy marinara!
Recipe: Healthy Post-Workout Macro Bowl
2 whole red onions
3-4 large sweet potatoes
3 whole tomatoes
6-8 cloves garlic
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 TB nutritional yeast
1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water at least 4 hours
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh torn basil, if you like!
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Prick sweet potatoes a few times with a fork, then bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until gooey and tender.
- Make your marinara. Crush the garlic cloves with your fists or the back of a knife, and chop onion and tomato into thin wedges. They should be about the same size to one another.
- Place garlic, tomato, and onion onto a baking tray and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Place tray into the oven with the potato and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
- Make the cashew cheese. Place drained cashews, nutritional yeast, and coconut milk into a blender. Season with salt. Blend until you have a smooth consistency. Place that into a bowl and rinse blender.
- Blend your marinara. Place roasted tomatoes, onions, and garlic into the clean blender. Puree for about 1 minute until smooth. Season more to your tastes.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven. Slice in half and top with your marinara, cashew cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Add torn basil if you like!