What’s up, team? During these cold winters, what’s better than a comforting soup to warm you up? Here, you can find my twist of the classic tomato soup and grilled cheese (or toastie for my fellow Aussies!). My version is made with heirloom tomatoes, garlic, and an excellent sourdough grilled cheese made with two kinds of cheese. You can also make this dish plant-based by using plant-based cheese! This recipe is a must-try!
What are the benefits of eating tomatoes?
Tomatoes are low in calories and carbs and rich in fibers, making them a great addition to your diet. Most importantly, tomatoes are a great source of vitamins C and K, potassium, folate, and lycopene. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant found in the red pigments of the tomato. Antioxidants protect against the damages caused by free radicals. Lycopene is an antioxidant that protects from cell damage and might reduce the risk of heart disease. It also might protect against cancers, especially prostate cancer. The good news is that this soup is loaded with heirloom tomatoes!
Do you have to peel tomatoes before roasting them?
Since we are using heirloom tomatoes- non-hybrid tomatoes- it is unnecessary to peel the tomatoes. Their skin is soft and tender. If you are using other tomatoes with thicker skin, you might want to peel them.
Why are tomato soup and grilled cheese a thing?
If I talk to you about tomato soup, you certainly think about grilled cheese as well. Tomato soup and grilled cheese is popular American combination. But where does it come from? During World War II, navy chefs made cheese sandwiches for the soldiers since it was an inexpensive and easy meal. After the war, grilled cheese made its way into school cafeterias. To balance this meal, tomato soup accompanied the grilled cheese. No wonder why tomato soup and grilled cheese remind you of your childhood!
Are tomato soup and grilled cheese healthy?
This meal combination is filling and is rich in nutrients. While this meal can be high in sodium when the soup is store-bought. By making a homemade soup, you can control the amount of sodium in the soup. You can also make the grilled cheese more nutritious by using wholegrain bread and high-quality cheese.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 lb (1kg) heirloom tomatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 sourdough toasts
- 3 slices cheddar
- 1/3 grated Emmental or Parmigiano Reggiano
Roasted Tomato Soup
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Cut the tomatoes and garlic head in half. Roughly chop the onion.
- On a baking tray, place the tomatoes, garlic, onion, and basil. Drizzle olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes.
- In a blender, blend the roasted tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Add the milk, basil, and paprika.
- In a pan, drizzle olive oil. Grill the bread on each side. Add the cheese on one side. Top with the other toast. Grate some Emmental or Parmigiano Reggiano on the grilled cheese. Let it melt.
- Serve the soup with the grilled cheese.